As well all know the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is the standard diagnostic tool for medical coding companies. We use it for coding epidemiology and health management as well as clinical purposes.
This ICD-10 was first adopted in 1994 and is now set to release as the 11th revision and all of the medical coders in the US will soon be transitioning over from the ICD-9 to ICD-10.
Given that these medical codes are used to monitor the incidence and prevalence of diseases and other health problems, it makes one pause, then laugh when you see absolutely bizarre medical conditions that require a medical code.
Here are our TOP 10 FUNNIEST ICD-10 MEDICAL CODES:
10. W6133XA, or being pecked by chicken.
What about a rooster?
9. V0001XD, Pedestrian on foot injured in collision with roller-skater, subsequent encounter.
This happens to the same person more than once?
8. W5922XA: Struck by a turtle.
Because the patient was fast enough to get out of the way?
7. S30867A: Insect bite (nonvenomous) of anus, initial encounter
6. S1087XA: Other superficial bite of other specified part of neck, initial encounter.
There’s more than one part of a neck on most people?
5. Y92250, or when a patient is injured in an art gallery
Because Art Galleries draw a rough crowd.
4. V91.07XA – Burn due to water-skis on fire, initial encounter
So water causes burns?
3. V9542XA: Spacecraft crash injuring occupant, initial encounter
How many people do you know that are regular occupants of a space craft?
2. A281, or cat scratch disease (also known as cat scratch fever)
Okay, maybe not so odd to be in position 2, but it made us think of the rock song
1. G4482, or a headache associated with sexual activity
We, PDN, know that medical coding is a serious business and while we find humor in some of the medical codes, we don’t find humor in inaccuracies and mistakes. We are prepared for the transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 and ready to help you with all of your medical coding needs.